Apr 15, 2008

Working Patience


"My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing."
James 1:2-4

Far too often in this life of mine I find myself impatient and fearful, somehow forgetting the mercies and grace of the living God. He has promised me strength for the day, yet I doubt it when a challenge arises. Perhaps this challenge is something requiring that a certain skill be used to complete the task at hand. It may very well be that I am challenged to sin. Either way, it shames me that I allow fear to cloud my judgement, and cause me to stumble.

If Allowed, every temptation may conceive fearfulness, grief, and unmeasurable pain and embarrassment. It is rather interesting, however, that James would instruct that joy come forth in these times. Rather than fearfully considering the occasion, weighing the pleasures at hand and the pain of refusing such pleasure, and therefore allowing our lusts to conceive sin, James says to count it all joy. To be tempted and tried and suddenly be happy for the thing is certainly unnatural, and rightfully so because in being joyful and resisting our lusts we became patient with the matter. Here is the funny thing about patience, that when it increases it works the man unto perfection so that he wants nothing. While the natural man acknowledges lust, he knows only how to please it, bringing forth more lust, never to be satisfied. On the other hand the righteous man, in whom patience has worked, can resist the temptations brought forth by lust, therefore he has want for no thing You see, when patience works her perfect work it brings forth contentment and a resting upon the Lord. Let it be that we may keep our members subject to the unity of Christ for we are indeed bought with a price.

"Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him."
James 1:12

"Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls."
James 1:21

3 comments:

White Badger said...

wow, wonder why he said "count it ALL joy..."
more than just something to be happpy about...

Puritan Dilemma said...

It is interesting to ponder what you have mentioned about the natural man acknowledging lust. He knows ONLY how to please it. When I was a "natural man" in my lost state, many times I remember desiring to avoid my lusts, only later finding I gave into them fully. You have hit the nail on the head again friend!

Puritan Dilemma said...

When shall we hear from your wise pen again?