Mar 11, 2008

Reflections Upon Psalm 106


"Remember me, O Lord, with the favour that thou bearest unto thy people: O visit me with thy salvation; That I may see the good of thy chosen, that I may rejoice in the gladness of thy nation, that I may glory with thine inheritance. We have sinned with our fathers, we have committed iniquity, we have done wickedly. Our fathers understood not thy wonders in Egypt; they remembered not the multitude of thy mercies; but provoked him at the sea, even at the Red sea." Psalm 106:4-7

O! how often do we admit our iniquities against the living God? If we were to examine ourselves we would be forced, if righteously examined, to confess that our sins match those of Israel. Though they were redeemed from Egypt and the bondage thereof, they "were defiled with their own works, and went awhoring with their own inventions." Perhaps we sin not in the same letter, but I find that all our sin is a reflection of selfishness and discontentment. Discontentment because of selfishness. Why do we lie? Because we are discontent with the truth and we desire to selfishly preserve our state! Judge it and you will see it applies. Why do we set up false gods (including ideals)? Because we thrive in being pleased and are not satisfied by who the true God really is. I speak as of a man yet in his sins, however "what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I."

Further along, "Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord..." (from Romans 7)

This from the pen of a man who many have set equal with God himself! No doubt, he was not nor ever claimed to be, (but in the folly of men many have made him an idol) but these words were written by a godly man, under the inspiration of God,who had long since had the cloak of Jesus' righteousness applied in his stead. Yet, sin dwelt in him. Though the blood of Christ be shed our flesh was conceived in sin and must die to sin. It is no wonder why Jesus preached that salvation was a birth of the spirit, for this body will not be made righteous till it enter into glory.

"Nevertheless he saved them for his name's sake, that he might make his mighty power to be known." Psalm 106:8

This in no way made Israel perfect nor blameless, for we know that Israel continued to sin against God by desiring their own agenda, and wanting more when God had surely provided more than adequate. Time after time, the anger and wrath of the Living God was kindled against his own people.

"They despised the pleasant land, they believed not his word: but murmured in their tents, and hearkened not unto the voice of the Lord. Therefore he lifted up his hand against them, to overthrow them in the wilderness:" and they, "were mingled among the heathen, and learned their works. And they served their idols: which were a snare unto them....Thus were they defiled with their own works, and went awhoring with their own inventions. Therefore was the wrath of the Lord kindled against his people..."

But let the saints of God know his Word.

"Nevertheless he regarded their affliction, when he heard their cry: And he remembered for them his covenant, and repented according to the multitude of his mercies."

Though we trespass every hour, yet shall we confess our sins and cry unto God and he will remember his covenant. How merciful is our God! That he "commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"Save us, O Lord our God, and gather us from among the heathen, to give thanks unto thy holy name, and to triumph in thy praise. Blessed be the Lord God of Israel from everlasting to everlasting: and let all the people say, Amen. Praise ye the Lord." Psalm 106:47-48

2 comments:

Puritan Dilemma said...

excellent are the words of the Lord, thank you for your comments, which remind us all that we must firmly resolve to let not other word rise above His holy Word!

Joshua James said...

Good show old chap, going out on a limb to say that God predestined us in love aren't you? Amen